I’ve never been a fan of turnips –like not at all. When I got a bunch in my bag this (weekly deliver of local organic produce thanks to Fresh City), I thought maybe I’d try a mash. Maybe throw in some carrots to mask the turnip taste. Instead, I decided to try Laura Calder’s recipe for Turnips with Miso Butter from her Paris Express cookbook. Am I ever glad I did. I absolutely loved it! It was unexpectedly delicious. I wanted another helping, unbelievable!
My weekly produce bag has become such a fun adventure in trying new things. For the most part, I’ve discovered wonderful new tastes I really enjoyed. It got me out of my rut of usually cooking the same things over and over. I highly recommend it!
But back to turnips….Here’s the super easy recipe:
1 lb (450 g) turnips
2 tbs butter
1 tbs red or white miso paste
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper
- Peel and quarter the turnips (or slice thickly like I did).
- Melt the butter in a large sauté pan, add the miso and whisk in the water.
- Stir in the turnips, cover and simmer until almost tender. The recipe said 10-15 minutes. I let them go 15.
- Uncover and keep cooking, stirring occasionally, until the juices have reduced to a thin sauce, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- That’s it!
I served this with trout meuniere and it was the perfect combination of flavours—I pretty much licked the plate, LOL.