After taking a job with a long commute and a crazy workload that made it impossible to have lunch most days and even more impossible to get any exercise in, I gained 17 pounds…yikes!!!! Then my role was eliminated in an organizational restructuring and poof, no more commute or crazy hours.
I started down the road of rebuilding my health and losing the weight in the process. I took a three-pronged approach: (1) a nutritional program called Isagenix which I had seen have a wonderful impact on a couple of friends; (2) local, organic food, as much as possible; and (3) regular exercise that included strength training, yoga and cardio in the form of running when the weather and my knees permitted and spinning when they didn’t. I ended up getting a great deal on a spinning bike from Amazon.ca. I live in a small condo and the only spot for it was right beside my bed…no excuses to not work out now. I could literally roll out of bed and get on it, LOL.
Salads seemed like a good fit with the new, healthy me. I love berries and with quinoa being such an ‘it’ food, I thought I’d try them together. The combination of fresh fruit, grains, nuts and spring greens made for such a pretty and tasty salad. And only about 300 calories!
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 2)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL)
- extra virgin olive oil 2 tbsp (30 mL)
- balsamic vinegar 8 cups (2 L)
- spring mix with fresh herbs (about 142 g) 1/2 cup (125 mL) cooked
- Quinoa 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL)
- flaxseeds 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh mixed berries (such as raspberries, blueberries or blackberries) 2 tbsp (30 mL)
- natural almonds
- In a large bowl, drizzle oil and vinegar over spring mix and toss to coat.
- In a small bowl, stir together quinoa and flaxseeds.
- Divide greens among 2 bowls and top with quinoa mixture, berries and almonds.